Simple, decent, affordable homeownership opportunities.
Simple, Decent, Affordable Homeownership Opportunities
Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester is an equal opportunity home builder and seller. Our mission is to build homes, communities and hope. Our program serves families by providing home ownership opportunities in 42 cities and towns throughout the MetroWest and Greater Worcester regions of Massachusetts.
Habitat for Humanity believes in a hand up, instead of a hand out. As such, Habitat homes are built with generous donations, volunteer labor, and are sold to families at no profit. We convey our homes to pre-qualified families with interest-free mortgages at a price based on 30% of family income, less the estimated costs of taxes, insurance and utilities.
• Gilana, Habitat Homeowner in Northborough, June 25, 2018: Before moving into their new affordable home in Northborough, Gilana and her son Aaron lived with her parents and brother in a two bedroom house. She shared one bedroom with her son and her brother, with a sheet dividing the room. After settling into their new Habitat home, Aaron had these words to say, “I feel great every day I come home and can say “home, sweet home.” Aaron is holding the key to their new home in this photo.
Are you eligible for a Habitat for Humanity Home?
If all of the items on the list below are true for you, then you will likely qualify for our homeownership opportunities:
- You are a documented resident of the United States.
- You are a first time homebuyer.
- You have a need for affordable housing (i.e. where you are is unsafe, hazardous to your health, too small for your family size, or costs more that 50% of your income).
- Your annual income falls between 30 and 60% of the Area Median Income Range for Middlesex County or Worcester County.
- You are willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester to become a successful home owner (Examples of partnership include participation in homeownership courses and completion of sweat equity hours on your own home or another Habitat for Humanity project).
The Family Selection Committee uses the criteria to select families in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, religion, marital status or because all or part of the applicant’s income is derived from public assistance. We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there is no discrimination in housing on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, age, or national origin.
Please complete the following HOMEOWNERSHIP INTEREST FORM to be contacted directly regarding homeownership opportunities. THIS IS NOT AN APPLICATION FOR HOMEOWNERSHIP. Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester staff will contact you via the phone or email address provided with more information on upcoming opportunities.
Once we verify that your family meets all the qualifications listed above, your pre-application will be evaluated based on three main areas:
- Need: Current housing is substandard or inadequate (overcrowded, too expensive or unsafe) or family income is insufficient to afford a conventional mortgage.
- Ability to Pay: Secure employment, good credit, legal residency, and able to afford 0% mortgage payments to Habitat.
- Willingness to Partner: Family agrees to work with Habitat and our volunteers for at least 400-500 hours including building Habitat homes, working in our ReStore/office, and homeownership education seminars.
Please note: When fitting family size to homeownership opportunities, families must have at least one person per bedroom but no more than two people per bedroom. Children of the opposite sex cannot occupy the same bedroom.